IBF – Leveraging value from previous investments
There is a commonality in the membership of IBF with those individuals and organisations responsible for many of flagship initiatives already in place which have helped to put Ireland at the cutting edge of innovation in terms of the global bioeconomy.
- BEACON (co-funded by Science Foundation Ireland and industry) is Ireland’s national bioeconomy research centre and is focused on frontier research for the development of the bioeconomy, contributing to the creation of vibrant sustainable communities”
- The establishment of BioÉire by the Department of Agriculture Food & Marine, and led by Teagasc to identify priority areas for Ireland’s bioeconomy
- The AgriChemWhey EU flagship project (led by Glanbia) which will fund the world’s first food by-product Biorefinery plant (located at Lisheen)
- Shannon ABC – An Enterprise Ireland funded technology gateway with the remit for prospecting bio-resources, for national and international partner industries for added value products, hosted in LIT and IT Tralee
- DPTC - The Dairy Processing Technology Centre (DPTC) is an industry–academic collaborative research centre, hosted by the University of Limerick, with a research agenda driven by the long-term growth opportunities for the dairy sector. The centre is funded by Enterprise Ireland and the Dairy Industry Partners.
- Model Demonstrator Region (MDR) status being awarded by the EC to the area spanning a ca. 50km radius of Lisheen - one of only 6 regions in the EU granted such status. These regions are mandated to contribute to the development of the bioeconomy by utilising domestically available feedstock e.g. biomass, waste or CO2.
- AMBER – a €58m Research Centre (co-funded by Science Foundation Ireland and industry) focussed on Advanced Materials and Bio-Engineering Research
- The establishment of the Irish hub of the AgriForValor EU-funded project which brings together key stakeholders to exploit sidestream biomass resources from agriculture and forestry
IBF will help unlock significant existing and future value of these projects as well being a magnet for other similar initiatives.